When (I really wanted to say “if” but I am staying positive and fighting that) I cross that finish line in June one things will be really clear – I am NOT alone. Hundreds and hundreds of hours on the bike, in the pool, on the sidewalk or trail, and in my basement lifting weights can be such a mental battle. A lot of tri training is done solo but so much of my training and improvements have been a group effort whether they know it or not.
- My family – From my husband who makes me dinners for when I finish late at night and rearranges his schedule so I can get group rides in or parents and in-laws who cheer me on (and siblings and friends who are basically family). My dad who pushes me (sometimes literally) on the bike and keeps pumping tri and bike knowledge into my head even if I sometimes ignore or forget it.
- Social media – I love the Women for Tri group and the Athena group they give such great advice and provide me with so much inspiration. But I also love posting my journey so family and friend can follow along. I see every like, heart, share, re-tweet, and comment and they fuel me on! I see you! For those of you who follow my accounts it is mostly my adorable nephew Luke, my adorable dog Rainier/Lil Ray/Ray Ray, or…triathlon related photos #SorryNotSorry. Catch me on Instagram at @LBfindingmystrong
- Swim Buddies – Leslie, your torn ankle ligaments were a curse on your running dreams for this spring but they have helped make me a stronger swimmer and that added accountability is getting me faster. For getting my butt into the pool for a mile+ swim every week. I 100% swim harder and better when I swim with friends. And Katie who taught me how to properly swim early on in this journey – I am feeling the burn! And Christy who promises to save me if I die during an open water swim and sends me great product advice on swim gear that she tests out.
- Running Buddies – Whether it is my mama-in-law and sis signing up and running their first 10k with me, Kyle listening to my snapchat cries and sending hers back, co-workers who are nutty and sign up for back-to-back 10 miler and half marathon races with me, or my pups who is at my side for *most* of my training runs.
- ProBike FC – From group rides to bike maintenance to strength training lessons y’all have made me a stronger rider and triathlete in the few months I have known you. Not taking the winter off because you kept your groups rides going or gave me the opportunity to Computrain has meant no slow slump into Spring. Your encouraging atmosphere, coaches, and team have made me a stronger rider mentally and physically and when I cross my next finish line it will be in HUGE part thanks to you. Thanks to y’all I will never give up (even going up a hill) even if I am the last person up it. I can’t wait to grow as a rider with y’all. If you aren’t already riding/shopping at/getting your bike fixed at ProBike FC you need to be.
I love you all! Let’s do this!